10 Steps to the Award
Rules of Participation
- Children and adults are invited to submit their drawing and text about an Olympic country.
- The winning works will be used to print a Japanese card game ‘Karuta’, which is the prize of the contest.
- Choose a country from among the 206 Olympic countries and draw something famous of the country (for example: buildings, mountains, festivals, foods)
- Use white A4 (210×297mm) or smaller paper
- Any art media, method can be used but each drawing must be handmade, original, non-published
and created by the participant himself.
- No drawing showing copyrighted images will be accepted.
- Write a text (clue) connected with your drawing.
- Write in English (3-12 words) or in Japanese (5-20 syllables)
- Writing can be assisted by others (parents, teachers)
- One work per one country, the total 206 works will be selected by karuta experts and others including Ms. Mikiko Haraguchi (Vice chairman, Japan Kyodo Karuta Association).
- The result will be announced on the Karuta 2020 website in December 2020.
- Please note that all submitted works to the last contests will be included for this selection.
- The submitted works won’t be returned and may be used partially or modified when we print Karuta cards (eg. use only the picture)
- Regardless whether winning or not: All rights of the submitted works will be reserved by FROM JAPAN Institute. Your works also may be published on our website, SSN and printed materials.
- Any private information which we collect will be only used for the contest.
- Karuta 2020 Project Team (FROM JAPAN Institute, Japan Kyodo Karuta Association and Suginami Karuta Project)
How to enter: Individual
How to enter: School
- When do pepole play karuta in Japan?
- Traditionally we play karuta on New Year’s day when family members get together. As part of primary/secondary school curriculum children play karuta at school because karuta is an educational card game with a theme such as literature, geography. Karuta is also played for Karuta Game Championship held in communities nationwide.
- My child is just 3 years old so she cannot write words yet. Can I create writing for sentence card on behalf of him?
- Yes. You can write sentence on behalf of him.
- But you cannot help her drawing. The picture must be the original work created by the applicant without someone’s help.
- I love drawing. But I am Russian and cannot write in Engish or Japanese. Can I enter the contest?
- Yes. Please ask your teacher, family or friend to create writing on behalf of you.
- Can I submit the picture by email?
- No. We wil not accept any entry by email. Please submit your work by post.
- How can I know the results?
- First we will send an email to the winners by early May 2020. We are afraid the emails will be sent to the only winners. The results will be also announced on Karuta 2020 website in May 2020.
- Is my work returned if my work is not selected for the Award?
- We are afraid ‘No’ because of many entries.
- ‘Creative Karuta Award 2019-20’
- Phone: +intl-81-(0)42-439-5445