The entry was closed. Thanks you for many entries from all over the world.The winners will receive our email by around 10th January 2018 and be awarded at Karuta Festival, Tokyo on Saturday, 10th February 2018.
A call for entry
- Everybody is invited to enter the 2nd Creative Karuta Award by submitting art & writing works of their favorite scenes/objects in their home/chosen country, featured on Karuta, a traditional Japanese playing card.
- The closing date is 30 November 2017*and the 12 winning Works will be selected and awarded at Karuta Festival 2018, February Tokyo.
- This is a great opportunity for you to show off your creative skills and promote the charm of your favorite country globally through your works.
- * The submitted works must arrive at our office by 30 November 2017. The late arrival’s works will be accepted as entries to Creative Karuta Award next year to appreciate the entrant’s time, efforts to create the works.
Who can enter? – Eligibilities
- Open to individuals, schools/groups of all ages, abilities worldwide
- Both Individual and co-created works are welcomed
What to be submitted? – Entry work
- A pair of artwork and writing (called ‘Work’) representing the chosen topic in the chosen country by Entrant.
- Multiple entries will be accepted
What is the topic?
- A topic should be a scene/object making distinctive a chosen countryand promoting the charm of the country
- All scenes are regarded as important, not only iconic landmarks, but also the modest scenes playing a role in the country such as culture, people, nature, food and indusry.
- Any style of painting/drawing on no larger than A4 (297mm x 210mm) paper.
- No digital work is accepted.
- Must be in English or Japanese
- Use 3 to 15 words in English
- Compose 5-7-5 syllables like a Haiku in Japanese
- The whole topic should not be included in your writing.
- (eg. If the topic is Statue of Liberty you can write a clue like ‘This is a famous statue in NY’. But ‘You can see the Statue of Liberty over there’. is not acceptable.)
- The 12 winning Works will be selected by a selection committee including Ms. Mikiko Haratuchi, chairman, Kyodo Karuta Association.
- The selection will be made to include the works by different age group.
- The winners will be awarded with the following items at the 3rd Karuta Festival,Tokyo in January 2018.
- Award Certificate
- A set of karuta cards including the winning works
- Only original art work will be accepted.
- All works that have been shown or accepted elsewhere will not be accepted.
- All submitted Works will not be returned and shall become the property of FROM JAPAN Institute regardless awarded or not.
- The copyrighted images or words (e.g. Pokémon, etc.) are not accepted
- Your work may be modified or partially used to make Karuta cards
- The first name of authors and artists will be put on our website and other publications.
- The school’s name, age of student’s entrants will do the same
- By entering Creative Karuta Award your works will be automatically registered as entries to the ‘200 Countries Karuta Award’ to be selected in 2020.
How to enter: 1st step
- Choose a country
- Choose a topic
- Write the clue reflecting the topic
- Fill in a Clue Sheet
- Draw/paint a picture
- Paste the Clue Sheet on the back of picture
- Fill in the Entry Form
How to enter: 2nd step
- Post the following items
(1) the completed Entry Form
(2) the picture on which the clue sheet was pasted at the back
- Mailing address:
2nd Creative Karuwa Award
c/o FROM JAPAN Institute
3-4-45 Shibakubo-cho, Nishitokyo
Tokyo 188-0014 JAPAN
- Thursday, 30 November 2017
- The submitted works must arrive at our office by 30 November 2017. The late arrival’s works will be accepted as entries to Creative Karuta Award next year to appreciate the entrant’s time, efforts to create the works.
Works of the last competition, ‘Creative Karuta Award 2016’
Karuta 2020 Project Team